Ladies and Gentlemen
A wet and windy weekend for a change. Midland Bay Sailing Club hosted Big Brothers and Sisters of Huronia and myself to a brisk turn around Midland harbor. Most enjoyable - especially getting back onto land.
On Tuesday June 5th at 7:00 pm, Zero Waste Simcoe will hold its AGM at the YMCA in Little Lake Park. All are welcome to attend.
Wednesday June 6th you are invited to the Shelter Now Garden Day fundraiser on Hartman Drive from 11 am to 2 pm. Then at 7:00 pm the Town will hold a Public Meeting in the Council Chambers for the proposed rezoning of the condominium property on Shewfelt Cres. This is followed by the PDC meeting covering:
- A framework for planning the Unimin waterfront lands
- Review of the public consultation on a gaming opportunity for Midland
- Update on economic development activities
Also on Wednesday at 7:00 pm at St. Pauls United Church is the Grand Finale of the Listen Up - Midland!. Huron Park Public School and the Children's Community Choir will join forces for the world premiere performance of "The Seasons of Midland" by composer Andrew Staniland. This incredible program is a collaboration of John French of Brookside Music and the Juno award winning Gryphon Trio.
Thursday June 7th at 1:00 pm the North Simcoe County Alliance to End Homelessness will be hosting its spring forum from 1 to 3:00 pm at the Salvation Army on Second Street. It will feature a presentation on the County’s Investment in Affordable Housing. If you plan to attend, please RSVP to Peter Thomas (705) 526-2751.
That same day at 1:30 pm is the Waypoint AGM at Oak Ridge Gym in Penetanguishene. Then at 6:00 pm, We Are the Villagers will be holding a fundraiser to support their initiative to improve early childhood education in our area. A five course meal at the Library Restaurant is part of the fun.
Friday June 8th at 12 noon Rural Medicine Week holds its BBQ at Waypoint’s Tonache Bldg. Proceeds will go towards our doctor’s recruitment. At 7:00 pm to 7:00 am is the Relay for Life for Cancer, held at the Penetanguishene Waterfront Park. For information: http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR?fr_id=10592&pg=entry
Then the weekend breaks out – Saturday June 9th:
- It’s a swirl of activity around our new Midland Cultural Centre (MCC)
o 9:30 am - Entertainment on Elizabeth St. outside the Centre
o 10:00 am - The MCC opens with a ribbon cutting
o 10:30 am - Quest Arts will have their grand opening
o 11:00 am - Public tours of the new Centre start
o 5:30 pm – MCC Gala dinner organized by the Huronia Foundation for the Arts. John French is the featured performer.
- 11:00 am is the first leg of the Second Annual Shakedown Regatta – Help me welcome Mayor Marshal with cannon fire at our Town dock
- 2:00 pm the 724 Royal Canadian Air Cadets host their annual review and demonstration at the NSSRC
Sunday June 10th:
- 9:00 am – Your Mayor steps aboard the HMS Badger for a dangerous journey to Penetanguishene. The arrival in Penetanguishene about noon will feature the christening of the newly built HMS Lynx.
- 2:00 pm – The Annual Memorial Day ceremony to honour our veterans at the St. Margarets/St. Marks Cemetery. All are welcome.
And you thought there wasn’t enough to do!
Be part of Midland’s exciting Year of Having Fun - 2012.