Ladies and Gentlemen
Quite something when it’s October 22nd and people are out in shorts and sea-dooing on the Bay. But beneath it all is that feeling of apprehension – must be snow out there somewhere. The reality of living in Canada.
The Week Ahead
A good start to Monday the 23rd with the official groundbreaking for the new downtown health centre at 11:30 am. You are invited to join the ceremony at Edge Hill Park, close to the corner of Manly and Bayshore.
At 5:00 pm Council goes into a closed meeting to discuss the sale of municipal property, security of municipal property and personal matters. At 7:00 pm you are invited to attend the October Council meeting. The meeting will include:
- Two deputations;
o Update by Sharon Vegh of EDCNS on what they have accomplished
o Update on our North Simcoe Tourism initiative
- Proposed tribute to Gord Downie scheduled for Little Lake Park on October 28th
- Recommendation for heritage protection of the “Grand Mansions`` district on King Street
- Interim report on the results of the Service Delivery Review project
- A number of proposed changes to the Town`s financial arrangements, specifically reserve allocations and internal loans policies
Tuesday the 24th starts with County Council in Midhurst at 9:00 am. The most interesting agenda item is the proposal to have all residents of Simcoe County use a standard sized garbage container. At noon Grandmothers Hands Huronia invites you to an afternoon of learning about their mission to the third world and celebrating their success -
12:00 pm. - African luncheon (Donations accepted)
1:00 pm. - “Powered by Love” book launch presentation and introduction of guest Grandmothers from Africa
2:30 pm. Close of launch event
All this takes place at the Midland Legion Hall - 196 Queen St.
Wendat invites you to its AGM and social at 6:30 pm at its new residential location, 44 Dufferin Street in Penetanguishene.
Thursday October 26th the County starts its budget deliberation at 9:00 am. Midland is not expecting to start our own public budget process until January. At 5:30 pm Quest host a special evening for the whole community -
5:30 pm – Dinner. Please call to reserve your spot at 705-526-2787
6:00 pm – AGM and business meeting
7:15 pm - Screening of the 20 minute documentary of the North Simcoe Canada 150 Mural Project
8:00 – Screening of the French version of the documentary
This free-entry event (except for dinner - $20) is open to all at the Midland Cultural Centre at 333 King Street.
Also on Thursday at 6:30 pm, the County of Simcoe honors its newcomers with a series of awards. That takes place at the Tangle Creek Golf and Country Club in Thornton.
Friday the 27th sees the Grand Opening of the Brick at 9:00 am in its new location on Hwy 12 in the Walmart plaza. That evening at 7:00 pm Sharon Mackinnon invites you the opening of her new exhibition in the Quest Art gallery at the MCC.
Week - End
Saturday October 28
- 9:30 - 3:30 pm - Simcoe & District Maple Syrup Producers Association meets at Peter & Anne Lorriman's Windlee Farms Maple Syrup farm in Tiny to discuss maple syrup
- 2:00 – 9:00 pm - Proposed tribute to Gord Downie at Little Lake Park
- 6:00 pm - Midland Lions Club celebrates 80 years with a dinner at the Midland Legion
Sunday October 29
- 7:30 pm - Blues singer Suzi Vinnick graces the stage at the MCC. Ms. Vinnick is a 10-times Maple Blues Award winner, 3-times Juno Nominee and finalist in the 2013 International Blues Challenge in Memphis
Council Issues Update
Downtown Health Clinic
Now that Council has approved the health centre`s site plan construction should start this fall. They are looking to open by December 2018.
The Year for Getting It Done - 2017