Ladies and Gentlemen
A Major Milestone
This past weekend saw the launch of our new Midland Cultural Centre. The building is magnificent – a true foundation for our area’s future. You must come out and see Mr. Webers’ outstanding gift to all of us. And then start imagining how this unparalleled opportunity can make Midland the exciting creative community we all desire.
Monday June 11th is a busy day for Council. At 5:30 pm at CLH on Olive Street, a sad gathering takes place as we say good-bye to Katimavik, a youth group that has been so active in our community over the years. At 6:00 pm Council gathers in closed session for a discussion of labour matters. Then at 7:00 pm at the Town Hall is the General Committee meeting. A long agenda including:
- A request for a transit stop at the Superstore
- Discussion of LED lighting for all our street lights
- Review of our taxi situation and prices
- Further direction to staff on our 2013 budget targets
On Tuesday morning I head to Victoria Harbor for a civics class with children at St. Antoine Daniel school. It’s never too early to learn about politicians! At 7:00 pm that evening at the NSSRC is the change of command ceremony for our Sea Cadets. We recognize retiring Lt M. McKinnon and welcoming SLt G Pardy. You are welcome to attend.
Wednesday June 13th sees two plaque presentations:
- Sutton Bayside Realty for their new offices at King and Yonge – at noon
- Louis DeSantis for his newly opened Midland Inn – at 1:00 pm
You are welcome to attend both events.
On Thursday June 14th at 3:00 pm you are invited to attend the Severn Sound Environmental Association Open House at the library. At 4:00 pm that day the Town will hold and open meeting at Town Hall to hear from KPMG, the firm that has been hired to conduct an operational review of the Town.
Friday the fun starts. The Chamber of Commerce hosts its annual BBQ on the Town dock at noon. Then, that evening, its Rotary’s Party on the Dock. This annual charity event features the Jimmy Buffet tribute band Northern Harbor and is arguably the best party of the summer.
Finally on Saturday June 16th:
- Clearview Township and the County open a new Joint Emergency Services facility at 11:00 am (6993 Highway 26 in Stayner)
- Closer to home is the Teddy Bear Picnic in Perkinsfield Park at 11:00 am in support of Georgian Bay Cancer Support Centre
Be part of Midland’s exciting Year of Having Fun - 2012.