Ladies and Gentlemen
Dawn over Georgian Bay was graced by two trumpeter swans landing with delicacy and purpose. It pays to get up early on these beautiful days. And make sure you take time for Mother’s Day this Sunday.
Midland’s traditional start of the shipping season Top Hat ceremony takes place at the Town dock this Monday May 14th at 10 am. We will welcome the skipper of the Frontenac in fine style. At noon, still at the dock, we officially open our new Visitor Information Centre. You will also hear about our official Tourism Midland logo, phone number, email, website, Facebook and Twitter initiatives to help us provide timely information for our visitors.
At 6:00 pm that evening is a closed meeting of Council. Then at 7:00 pm is General Committee. A long agenda including:
- Consideration of a number of new parking fees – Town Dock, Pete Peterson, NSSRC
- Consideration of the leases with organizations who occupy Town facilities/property – YMCA, Huronia Players, Lawn Bowling Club, etc.
- Selection of the firm for the Town’s operational review
- Discussion of the Museum’s leaking roof and a request for a new lease arrangement
On May 16th and 17th Georgian College hosts its second annual trades showcase. Georgian brings in students from across Simcoe County and Muskoka to give then a hands-on understanding of a trades career. This year’s event will be twice the size of last year’s success.
At 5:00 pm on the 16th I will appear on Roger’s Politically Speaking. Your chance to ask questions of your Mayor. Then at 6:30 pm is the Annual Civic Night dinner sponsored by the Midland Lion’s Club.
Thursday May 17th sees a number of special celebrations:
- 2:00 pm, County Councillors gather in Barrie for the opening ceremonies of the RVH cancer centre
- 6:30 pm at St. Pauls church is a ceremony honoring the achievements of our young ladies in Girl Guides.
- 7:00 pm that evening I attend a Citizenship Awards ceremony at the Community Centre in Port McNicoll
Saturday is your chance to celebrate with our neighbours in Port McNicoll. Portarama starts at 11:00 am in Port with a parade followed by a day full of fun and activities for all.
This is Police Week. Please take time to say thank you to our excellent men and women who serve you in policing.