Ladies and Gentlemen
Winter’s back. And I have the shovel marks to prove it.
A fairly quiet week in the Town.
The Out of the Cold program is half-way through its season. We are typically feeding 20 people each evening – many have a home but do not have the means to put food on the table. The economic downturn continues to impact Midland.
On Wednesday February 3rd at 7:00 pm is the PAC meeting. (Speak at Discretion of Chair). The agenda includes:
- further discussion on “secondary suites” for single family dwellings
- a housekeeping proposal to our Town Plan. It covers many topics such as:
o where you can park on your residential property
o including decks in the definition of lot coverage
- an update on the County appeal to the OMB over the Official Plan process
This is Midland’s Winterfest weekend - a variety of events from Friday evening into Sunday. Check the Town website for details. Also on the social calendar for this Saturday February 6th are:
- Community Living Huronia gala starting at 5:30 pm at the Best Western
- Georgian Bay Musicians Assn. is holding a Winterfest Dance at 8:00 pm at the Windrifter.
And lastly, our Town has apparently joined a “Provincially Designated Growth Area Municipalities Committee”. This is a new organization made up of 3 Simcoe municipalities plus Barrie and Orillia. In a letter issued by its Chair, Mike MacEacheran, on January 20th one of the Committee’s tasks will be to “research and review alternative cooperative servicing opportunities to support the implementation of the necessary infrastructure required to accommodate the proposed growth nodes….” Interesting. When this comes to Midland Town Council for discussion I will be sure to let you know.