Ladies and Gentlemen
The Christmas tree is put away, the kids are at school and that aura of normalcy descends. Hoping for a good year ahead for all.
Monday January 11th will start at 5:30 pm with a Special Council meeting. Our economic development group EDCNS will be presenting to Council on the importance of economic development and how they are bringing economic wealth to our area. You are welcome to attend.
At 7:00 pm is the January General Committee including:
- A proposal by our Museum for a display area on the Town dock
- A review of the many traffic issues raised over the past year. Traffic issue locations include Aberdeen Blvd, Norman Cres., Mundys Bay School and King Street by Tim Hortons
- Discussion of a Community Energy Plan
The General Committee will be followed by a closed meeting to deal with a tax situation.
Tuesday the 12th is a bit quieter. County has their Committee of the Whole meeting starting at 9:30 in Midlhurst. That afternoon I meet with We Are the Villages to plan our first Mayors Annual Charity Event. Save the dinner hour of Tuesday April 5th for a special evening in aid of a great children’s charity
Wednesday January 13th will feature a closed meeting at 5:30 pm as the Town gets into labour negotiations with our unions. At 7:00 pm is the Planning and Development Committee meeting where we will discuss:
- The Official Plan amendment required to go ahead with the Midland Bay Landing project
- Preparations for our Home-Based Business by-law
- The recent downtown parking survey showing a continued decrease in our use of downtown parking
Also at 7:00 pm is the Huronia Chapter of the Ontario Archeological Society meeting at the Library. It will feature a fascinating presentation by Jamie Hunter about Champlain’s visit to our area in 1615. Public are welcome.
Thursday the 14th will see the wrap-up meeting of the Downtown Safety Committee at 10 am at the Town Hall.
- 12 noon to 4:00 pm is the volunteer fair for the MCC at the MCC
- 8:00 pm brings the “Hot Rocks” Rolling Stone Tribute show to the MCC
Council Issues Update
Midland Bay Landing – Council will discuss the Official Plan Amendment process for MBL at the Wednesday Planning meeting. In February/March look for both the public open house and a public input meeting on this matter.
OPP – The OPP have indicated that they are ready to start the costing process. The first meeting between the Town and the OPP is scheduled for January 18th.
The BIA is looking for three judges to decide who has the best chili in Midland. The judging will take place as part of our Winterfest on Saturday February 6th. If you are interested in being a judge please e-mail email@example.com, explaining why you would make a great judge.
Another upcoming event. On Thursday January 21st from 9:00 am to 11:00 am, the NSCFDC is sponsoring a talk by our own Dr. Sue Lyons on Employee and Workplace Health. The talk will be at the MCC. Please register in advance by calling 526-1371 x 113 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Year for Getting Aboard – Midlands on the Move - 2016