Ladies and Gentlemen
Snow. I know I should not be using four letter words but somebody had to say it.
Monday November 23rd starts busy and stays that way all day. At 9:00 am you may wish to participate in a National Housing Day symposium at the Simcoe County Museum. At 5:30 pm the Big Brothers and Big Sisters of North Simcoe host their AGM at the NSSRC. Also at 5:30 pm Council meets in closed session to consider Committee appointments and to receive legal advice.
At 7:00 pm it’s the November Council meeting. Items on the agenda are:
- Two presentations including a special award to Jeff Fillingham. Jeff, who has mobility challenges, recognized the need for an accessible taxi in Midland. He launched a campaign and with the help of Central Taxi successfully brought that service to our community
- Three deputations:
- EDCNS will give us a status on their economic development work
- Quest Art School and Gallery will inform us about the visual arts
- NSCFDC will tell us how they are helping small business
- Public Meeting (you may speak) on the setting of fees for our Risk Management Official. The RMO works with companies to develop plans for source water protection
- Decision on the new Midland –Penetanguishene transit service. The service should better link our two communities by early in the new year
- Review of the Tiffin by the Bay development site work-plan
- Recognition of the OMB appeal against the Downtown Health Hub at Edgehill ParkTuesday the 24th also starts at 9:00 am in Midhurst with the County Council meeting. (If you have ever wondered what we do down at County, you may wish to take a look at our November agenda for Council http://docs.simcoe.ca/ws_cos/groups/public/%40pub-cos-sta-com/documents/web_content/rsc497593.htmand Committee of the Whole http://docs.simcoe.ca/ws_cos/groups/public/%40pub-cos-sta-com/documents/web_content/rsc497384.htm )At noon Askennonia is hosting a special Honour Our Veterans lunch. If you wish to attend please contact Askennonia at 526-7609. You need to register in advance.At 1:00 pm the focus shifts to MSS in Midland for the launch of the seasonal RIDE program. Safe and sober driving is always in season. At 2:00 pm you may wish to attend the North Simcoe Housing Working Group meeting. One of their key initiatives is developing a common guideline for “second suites” for all four North Simcoe municipalities.Come 7:00 pm you are invited to a special evening of glitter and ceremony – the first MCC Cultural Awards. Awards will be made in four categories to those who have significantly benefitted our area’s cultural scene. The feature speaker for the evening is mayor Dan Mathieson of Stratford, Ontario who will tell us how culture has transformed his municipality. Admission is free.On Wednesday the 25th I head over to Collingwood for a meeting of the urban mayors of Simcoe County. We will be discussing the challenges of urban centers in rural settings and how we can work better together. At 3:00 pm you may wish to drop into the new offices of Carlson-Wagonlit travel on King Street as they celebrate their grand re-opening. And at 5:00 pm the BIA starts the Christmas season with tree lighting festivities. The actual tree lighting takes place at 7:00 pm at Neehozday Park, next to the Library.Thursday November 26th sees the Downtown Safety Committee meeting at 10:00 am at Town Hall. The Committee is getting close to finalizing a new approach for Midland to improve our downtown safety and assist those with challenges. One of the features of the new system will be what is known as a “situation table”. A situation table is called as needed to bring together a group of social agencies to work out a coordinated approach to dealing with a challenged individual. This approach places a lot more emphasis on prevention as opposed to reacting to incidents.Then at 5:00 pm Council meets to discuss the developing MPUC Request for Proposal. The meeting will start in closed and then later on move to a public meeting.Friday the 27th. At 9:00 am the Affordable Housing Advisory committee meets at County. Friday is also the first day of the three day Novice/Atom/Pee Wee Silver Stick Hockey Tournament at the NSSRC. And lastly, at 7:00 pm, the iconic folk singer Valdy is at the MCC.WeekendSaturday
- 11:00 am is the 2015 Civitan Santa Clause parade in downtown Midland
- 7:30 pm at St Pauls is the Serenata Choir “Sing We Noel” concert. Tickets at the door
Be part of Midland’s Year of Bold Action - 2015