Ladies and Gentlemen
It may be cool but there is so much going on in Midland that you don’t really notice.
Monday June 10th is a day of meetings. At 5:30 pm is a closed meeting to discuss labour matters and issues of litigation. A 6:30 pm is an open special meeting of Council to set the tax rates for 2013. (The Police budget may also be discussed.) Then at 7:00 pm is the regular General Committee meeting including:
- Recommendation to cooperate with Tay to provide water and sewer services to Martyrs’ Shrine and Ste. Marie
- Deferral of the Parks Master Plan
- Update on the graffiti program
- Discussion of the voting options for the 2014 election
Wednesday June 12th is the dedication of the David Onley Park at 2:00 pm at our harbor entrance. The Honorable David Onley will be in attendance. I also understand there will be a surprise (it’s his birthday)
On Thursday June 13th at 3:00 pm the SSEA will host an open house at Wye Marsh. Later that day I head to Owen Sound to address a group of residents on the low water situation in Georgian Bay.Also on Thursday you will want to take in the next Day in the Life series featuring Midland’s own Martels. The Martels were THE rock 'n roll band in the late 50 s and the 60s and have continued to entertain for more than half a century. Guests will be the original five members of the band: Gary French, Larry French, Bert DesRochers, Tom Ambeau and Milt Budarick. These extraordinary gentlemen played with Gordon Lightfoot, Del Shannon (Runaway), Bryan Hyland (Yellow Polka Dot Bikini), Lou Christie (Lightning Strikes Me Again); The Newbeats (I Like Bread & Butter); Shirley Mathews (Big Town Boy) and others. Tickets are available at the MCC Box Office or online at www.midlandculturalcentre.com
Friday June 14th, the Physician Recruitment team will host a BBQ at Waypoint at noon to celebrate Rural Medicine Week. Then at 7:00 pm, if you want a real artistic treat, the School of Dance will be presenting the musical Hansel and Gretel at the MCC. Tickets are available from Patricia Stenton at the School of Dance.
And then the weekend – Saturday
- Penetanguishene is hosting a public meeting on low water levels at Brian Orser Centre starting at 10:00 am
- Midland’s first Butter-tart contest starts at 11:00 am outside of the MCC. With over 80 entrants it’s going to be a day of sticky fun.
- Saturday is also the fifth anniversary of the Brick Furniture store at Mountainview mall. They would certainly welcome you dropping in and enjoying a piece of cake.
- And don’t forget the Ball Hockey tournament at the NSSRC
To close out the weekend, Midland Sea Cadets will be holding their annual review at the NSSRC starting at 1:00 pm on Sunday June 16th.
Be part of Midland’s Year of Getting Involved - 2013.