Ladies and Gentlemen
Things are moving in Midland. This past Wednesday our Director of Planning stated that they were having trouble keeping up with all the inquiries for development in our Town. And just as important - time to plant the onions and spinach.
The Town offices are closed on Monday April 9th. Nonetheless, construction will restart on Hugel Avenue, weather permitting. Hugel will soon be closed to through traffic. Watch the Town website for construction updates.
Tuesday April 10 at 7:00 pm sees the General Committee meeting. A long agenda including:
- Discussion on the draft Code of Conduct for Council
- The Town declares an operating surplus of some $243,000. This is offset by a capital deficit of close to $250,000
- The “all in” Midland tax rate increase for residential properties in 2012 will be 0.7%
- A request for direction on the multi-purpose trail proposed for the Birchwood subdivision area
- A report from our Fire Chief indicating he cannot meet the budget target set by Council for 2012
On Thursday April 12th at 9:00 am in Midhurst I will attend my regular Performance Management meeting. Items of interest for Midland are:
- County will report a 2011 surplus of $8.8 million
- Penetanguishene will present a motion asking for policing to be delivered on a Countywide basis
- The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (our public health agency) will request a budget increase of 3%
And at 4:00 pm that day the ArtsVest launch event will occur at the NSSRC. This event celebrates Midland being designated to receive ArtsVest funding that will help both artists and business in our community work more closely together.
Two items in closing.
1) The County’s Blue Grew recycling bin campaign will start April 9th. Residents will begin to receive their new 83-litre recycling boxes starting Monday. New items now accepted include rigid plastic household containers and lids marked 1 through 7, the plastic clamshell packaging and the lids from take-out coffee cups.
2) Midland’s planning department is running flat out this spring. Confirmed projects you will see in 2012 are:
Project Location Status
New Tim Hortons 474 Bay St. Coming to PDC
Midland Cultural Centre 333 Elizabeth Opening June 9
New office building 174 Pillsbury Dr. Spring construction
BIN management Hwy 12 Site plan to be submitted
LRG subdivision 321 Penetanguishene Rd. Construction underway
Shoppers Drug Mart Cty Rd. 93 Opening early summer
Midland Traditions 105 Pillsbury Spring construction