Ladies and Gentlemen
Just back from the Butter Tart festival. Another tremendous success even with the dampness in the morning. My congratulations to Angela and her team. I participated as a judge again this year so will be in sugar withdrawal for the next few days.
Monday the 13th sees two Town meetings. At 6:00 pm there will be a closed meeting to deal with labour and personal matters. At 7:00 pm is the June General Committee meeting. A relatively short agenda including:
- Discussion of using the Town parking lot at 509 Bay for more picnic/community gathering purposes
- Direction on the Town providing insurance for the MCC
- Consideration of a loan to our library
- Review of the SSEA lease
Tuesday June14th starts at 9:00 am with County Council. Then at 6:30 pm at that day is the fourth session in a lecture series of how start, grow and expand your business. The session is at the Library and will address the topic of succession planning.
On Wednesday the 15th, two items you will enjoy:
- At 7:30 pm, A Day on the Life takes place at the MCC. Fred will do a great job interviewing our intrepid Keewatin captain, Eric Conroy
- At 8:00 pm, grab the popcorn and head downtown for the second Midland movie night. Look for “Back to the Future” on the big screen at 509 Bay
Thursday the 16th is an important day for our community as we host the 2016 Prosperity Summit at the MCC. This event is organized by our economic development group, EDCNS, and brings together business leaders from our area and across southern Ontario to discuss business in North Simcoe. Our EDCNS is helping make business growth a reality in Midland.
Friday and the week-end is upon us. Look for the Pearl Mist to be back at dockside. At 11:00 am our Midland Bay Landing steering committee meets at the Town to further advance our waterfront project. And then at 6:00 pm get ready to party as Party on the Dock returns to Midland. Rotary’s annual bash will be bigger and better. Tickets are available at Tripps Paint on King Street.
- Our sailing club takes out the “Little” Brother and Sisters for a sail on the Bay
- 2:00 pm the Wye Marsh new boardwalk dedication at the Wye Marsh. You are welcome to attend.
- 8:00 pm a tribute to John Denver/Glen Campbell at the MCC
Council Issues Update
The Town is starting to move into its 2017 budget cycle. Look for Council to provide direction to staff on 2017 budget targets later this month.
Midland Bay Landing
The development side of the project is moving slower that we had expected. Our partner is still living up to the terms of the contract. Staff has continued to complete the zoning changes that are needed to develop the property. While we have not had the property formally appraised, the MBL site is now worth much more than what we paid for it.
In closing an opening - the Sammouna Restaurant, specializing in Mediterranean cuisine is now open at the Huronia Mall (in the old Quizno location). I recommend the Shwarma.
Your Year for Getting Aboard – Midland is on the Move - 2016