Ladies and Gentlemen
It’s March Break and the Town is full of happy children with a week off. If you are looking for a way to keep the KIDS entertained there is lots to do:
- Huronia Museum has a March Break Day Camp from the 14th to 18th. Geared to children 5-12 years. $22 per day.
- Quest Art at the MCC hosts “Think It, Make It Move It” all week. Call Quest at 705-526-ARTS (2787) or visit the Quest Art Shop at the MCC.
- Boys and Girls Club March Break Camp from the 14th to 18th Camp runs from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (with before and after care available)
- Wye Marsh has numerous March Break activities – 11:00 am and 2:00 pm daily it’s the “Meet the Creatures” program; 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm features roast bannock over the fire and; 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm it’s a tour through the Sugar Shack.
Please check with each organization for further details.
For the adults it’s a bit quieter. On Monday March 14th, the Cancer Awareness flag will be raised at Town Hall at 2:00 pm.
KIDS – Try building a Birdhouse at 10:30 am at the Library. The cost is $5. Please call to register.
On Tuesday the 15th the mayors of Simcoe County, who have hospitals in the municipalities, will meet to discuss what action to take on the ongoing shortfall in funding for our hospitals. The meeting is a first step in creating the resolve to correcting the problems with the funding formula that limit our hospitals’ ability to serve our communities.
KIDS – Come join a Family Folk Dancing session at the MCC at 2:00 pm. This fun family event is free.
Wednesday the 16th - it’s not quite St. Patrick ’s Day but that hasn’t stopped our seniors. Askennonia is hosting a St. Patrick's Day Luncheon, including hearty Irish stew with crusty bread, dessert, cash bar, live music courtesy of Steve Pitkanen and Kristine Mannion and special guests the Irish School of Dance. Tickets are on sale now at Askennonia's reception.
KIDS - The Good Dinosaur will be playing at our Library at 1:30pm. Free admission!
March 17th and a Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you. The four mayors will be meeting with our North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN to discuss our hospital funding and the sustainability of GBGH.
KIDS – Join us for Science Day at the Library. Sessions are at 10:30 and 1 pm. A great day of fun and discovery.
At 7:30 pm at the MCC, Garfield Dunlop will be joining Fred Hacker for a Day in the Life. At 9:00 pm is a unique event as your four mayors “don their pajamas” and spend a night in the GuestHouse. The people of Midland understand that we must help those who for whatever reason are compelled to live on the street. The mayors will be asking for pledges to help the Guesthouse raise money to build the new shelter.
Friday March 18th will see me at the County at 9:00 am for the Affordable Housing meeting. We are building at least 2,685 new affordable housing units in the County over the coming nine years.
KIDS – Mini-Pops (I will have to admit that I am too old to know what Mini-Pops is). The first show at 2:00 pm at MCC is almost sold out. A second show has been added at 11:30 am.
- Wye Marsh Sweetwater Festival – Pancakes and outdoor fun starting at 9:00 am
- Wye Marsh Sweetwater Festival starting at 9:00 am
- March Mudness at Rotary Park in Penetanguishene from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. A head to head competition over a muddy obstacle course. Go Team Midland.
Council Issues Update
Our hospital is looking for talented new Board members to fill four vacant Board positions. The Board is skills-based and provides governance oversight of the hospital’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan. In particular the Board is looking for applicants from the Francophone, First Nation, Metis and Inuit communities. If you are interested, please contact:
GBGH Board Nominations
C/O Jacki Dumont
Georgian Bay General Hospital
1112 St. Andrew's Drive, Midland
P.O. Box 760 Midland, ON L4R 4P4
Applications including resumes must be received by 4:00pm, Friday, April 8, 2016
I try to avoid asking for money but this week there are two special charities that I am involved in and I need your help.
1) We Are The Villages, together with the four mayors, is hosting a “Mac N Cheese” dinner at the Library restaurant on Tuesday April 5th. For $15 ($5 for children) you receive a gourmet “Mac N Cheese” dinner, impeccable table service from the four mayors, MPP Patrick Brown and MP Bruce Stanton; plus entertainment from the children of We Are The Villagers. Please contact me for tickets at email@example.com.
2) The Guesthouse has invited the four mayors to spend the night with them this Thursday and see the shelter from the perspective of a homeless person. The Guesthouse also needs your financial help to build their new shelter. They have to be out of their current shelter location in the very near future. If you can sponsor me, or wish to contribute directly to the Guesthouse, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Year for Getting Aboard – Midland is on the Move - 2016