Ladies and Gentlemen
Thanksgiving weekend and it’s a beauty.
I know that some people get upset when I say good things about our Town but there are a lot of positive signs out there. Our building permits are almost 3 times as high as they were this time last year – a lot of new development. Our new Downtown Heath Center has cleared Council – a major improvement to the healthcare of our residents. I know of three major companies in Town that are actively hiring, mainly skilled labour – young folks you need to do well in school. And our Syrian refugee family of three has increased in size. I have just learned that they also have a 20 year old daughter.
Thanksgiving weekend – get out and enjoy.
Tuesday October 13th sees a lot of meetings. At 9:00 am it is County Council. The meeting features a presentation on the specifics of the Affordable Housing and Homelessness Strategy, including Midland’s target of 90 more affordable units. At 6:30 pm is a closed meeting to deal with a letter concerning a personal matter. At 7:00 pm it’s the October General Committee at Town Hall. A challenging agenda including:
- Recommendation on the Town’s tiered response for emergency services
- Changes to fees for Town facilities at NSSRC and the harbor
- Direction on creating a park for Sunnyside
- Discussion on the future of Tiffin Pond
- Review of the considerations for leasing Town properties
- A “municipal dashboard” discussion. This item will challenge Council to set hard fiscal and service quality targets over the next three years
- A report on starting a Youth CommitteeAt 7:30 pm at the MCC you have the opportunity to meet a remarkable person. No less than the Samuel de Champlain. A Day in the Life will interview this famous explorer about his exploits circa 1635. You will hear of the hardships he and his men faced, the wars between neighbouring bands of First Nations and his visits to Huronia.Wednesday the 14th starts at 7:00 am with the Christian Community Breakfast at the NSSRC. Then at 6:30 pm you may wish to attend the Community Living Huronia AGM at the MCC. At 7:00 pm the Planning and Development Committee meets at the Town. The discussion will include:
- Planning approval for the new Operations Depot on MacDonald Road
- Review of the Terms of Reference for the Home Occupation by-law
- Discussion of the pedestrian trail near Cook DriveThursday the 15th is a special day for Mary Graham who celebrates 90 years with a reception at the Legion at 3:00 pm.On Friday October 16th I am back at the County for the regular Affordable Housing Advisory committee. At 7:00 pm the Ontario Archeological Society starts its three day conference at the Best Western. This conference will focus on the link between archeology and First Nations. More information at http://www.esaf-archeology.org/meetings.htmWeekendSaturday
- 7:30 pm its the GBGH 10th Anniversary Gala at MCCSunday
- 8:00 pm features Robert Milne at MCC. He will be entertaining you with*****A number of closing items.
- October 19th is Election Day. Remember to get out and vote
- Retired Constable Dave Hobson is still on patrol and asks you to take a look at an ATV safety video - http://bit.ly/1LEtmyF
- The GBGH patio project needs your help. If you can offer a few “clicks” they may be able to undertake this important renovation at our hospital https://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf32642
- On November 24th, 2015, the Culture Midland Committee will be hosting the first annual Culture Midland Awards. The purpose of the Culture Awards Program is to communicate the importance of culture, to inspire the cultural community and to recognize and celebrate the cultural talent in our community. This is your chance to nominate someone who has made an impact upon culture in our area. Please visit www.culturemidland.ca to find the nomination form and more information about Culture Midland. Deadline for nominations is Saturday, October 31st, 2015.
- If you are interested in helping our Syrian refugee family please visit the support site at http://gbrefugeesupport.wix.com/support
Be part of Midland’s Year of Bold Action - 2015