Ladies and Gentlemen
Patience has paid off. The weather for the next week is welcome reward for enduring one of the coldest winters on record. Time to get outside and enjoy your Town.
Monday April 13th will feature two meetings. At 2:00 pm at the Town Hall is the Audit Committee meeting. They will be reviewing some of the financial controls that guide our municipality. At 7:00 pm is the April General Committee meeting featuring:
- A discussion of Council’s new strategic plan for 2015-2018
- A number of financial reports including our Development Charge reserve status and first quarter budget results
- Request for replacement of our planner Andrea Betty, who will be taking up a new position in Penetanguishene
- Discussion of the pedestrian trail that runs along the back of Ingram Cres.
- Announcement that ReMax will allow the Town to open up more parking spaces on its property to help the overcrowding situation with our new soccer fields
On Tuesday the 14th the Town will hold a Downtown Master Plan steering committee meeting at 1:00 pm at the Library. Then it is your opportunity to get more involved in designing our downtown. From 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the MCC, the Downtown Master Plan committee will host an open house. They will provide a full update on how the planning process is going and the key ideas taking shape for our downtown. Your input is essential to making this a successful meeting.
Thursday April the 16th at 7:00 pm sees a Day in the Life at MCC featuring Harvey Atkin.
Harvey’s face and voice are among the most recognizable in show business. He is best known for two roles: in the “Cagney and Lacey” television series; and as the camp director in the movie “Meatballs”’ (for which he won a Genie nomination). He has appeared in over 75 feature films and hundreds of television shows.
On Friday the 17th the County’s Affordable Housing Advisory committee will determine its first round of meetings with all 16 municipalities in the County. This process will culminate with the preparation of customized housing strategies for all Simcoe communities. At 1:00 pm you are invited to the Wyebridge Community Centre on Hwy 93 for an update on our area’s healthcare. This quarterly event gives the public an opportunity to meet with the leaders of our area’s healthcare and provide input on our issues and what services we want to have.
Another sure sign of spring. At 2:00 pm the 2015 edition of the Midland Home Show opens at the NSSRC. There will be a noticeable difference this year as you can see just by looking at the show’s Saturday program.
“Three-time award winning Renovator of the Year and host of CFRB Newstalk 1010’s Home Improvement show, Frank Cohn and Birnie CurrentSAFE’s own expert, John Romanetti will be holding an informative and entertaining seminar to help people make informed decisions on how to get the most value from your home-improvement dollars and avoid “Handyman Horrors - aluminum wiring and other hidden hazards that can put your family at risk. The 2-hour seminar on Renovation Nightmares & Electrical Safety is at the stage area on Saturday, (April 18 at 1:30pm to 3:30pm)”
- Midland Home Show continues all day at the NSSRC
- Company of Good Cheer game dinner at the Georgian Bay Hunters and Anglers at 6:00 pm. Supports our Champlain Event committee. Tickets at NSSRC
- 6:00 pm is the Street Light fundraiser for the David Busby Centre in Barrie. (David Busby is the men’s shelter in Barrie)
- 7:00 pm Sistema Huronia Music Academy will be holding a fundraiser variety show at the Alliance Church on Yonge St. A free will offering is encouraged.
- We Are the Villagers Spring and Summer fashion show at the Library restaurant starting at 1:30 pm
Please mark your calendars for a special event coming up on May 21st. Mr. Gord Hume, a well-known urban planner, will be at our Midland Library at noon to talk about “Places and Spaces”. Gord will inform you about how a Town’s design is critical to a healthy lifestyle and full enjoyment of the place you live. There will be a light lunch. Donations will be used to support our library. Please confirm your attendance before April 22nd by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Be part of Midland’s Year of Bold Action - 2015