Ladies and Gentlemen
Lots of buzz around the new Council and the looming prospect of snow. Most citizens are pleased with the mix on Council, made up of some new young blood together with returning veterans. Comments about the snow are a lot frostier.
Monday November the 10th gets the old Councils back to work. Both County Council and Midland Council are “lame ducks” due to the large number of new members. County Council will meet at 9:00 am in Midhurst. Midland Council will meet in closed session at 6:00 pm to discuss a labour matter. At 7:00 pm is the General Committee meeting. A short agenda including:
- Recommendation to allow Kaitlin to build 4 model homes at Bayport
- Recommendation to adopt a new Source Water Protection Plan
- Discussion on how to organize farmers markets for the 2015 season
- Discussion of the Watercross event planned for Little Lake in 2015
Tuesday is Remembrance Day. Town Hall will be closed. Please join our men and women in uniform at the Cenotaph at 10:30 am for the Remembrance Day ceremony. At 5:30 pm that evening the Midland Legion Branch 80 will be hosting a special dinner in honour of our veterans.
The students of St. Theresa’s High Scholl are preparing a very special tribute to our service men and women. They have made commemorative markers, each identifying one the soldiers from our area who has fallen in the war. The markers will be posted along the path from St. Ts to the Cenotaph. The students will stand by the markers and help you better know those who have given us our freedom. Please make a point of stopping and talking with these special students.
The four (new) mayors have had a number of discussions recently about how we can best ensure quality healthcare for our area. We have all agreed that effective public participation is essential, including direct participation by the mayors. The mayors will be meeting with GBGH on Thursday to better understand the existing funding model and to chart a course that will lead to a long-term sustainable financial commitment to our hospital by the LHIN.
Also on Thursday at 6:30 pm at the Library, the Severn Sound Environmental Association will be holding its annual partners reception.
On Friday November 14th, the Town will host a farewell reception for Deborah White, who is retiring after many years of the service to the Town, most recently in our Treasury department.
The reception starts at 1:00 pm at Town Hall. Please come out and wish Deb well.
That evening at 8:00 pm at MCC, Huronia Players launches its 2014/15 season with It’s A Wonderful Life. Can’t say enough about our wonderful theatre troupe.
- We are the Villagers hosts a very imaginative event at the Library from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. A village is being set up and children will get to meet the people who make the village work – the postman, the baker – guess who plays the mayor? Should be lots of fun for families.
- Victorian Christmas Street Festival at the NSSRC from10:00 am to 4:00 pm – all proceeds go to the Midland OSPCA
- Brookside Music brings White Night in Russia to the MCC at 2:00 pm. A tour de force of Russian composers on piano and viola
Be part of Midland’s Year of Making Decisions - 2014