Ladies and Gentlemen
It’s now official. Forget the groundhog – the first spring robin has been reported on our street. I am also expecting any day now my “sure sign of spring” phone call inquiring about when Town will be by to remove the gravel from the streets.
Monday April 8th my fellow mayors and I will be in Queens Park talking to provincial parties about our low water situation. The Georgian Bay Leaders group has made progress in getting in front of our provincial and federal leaders. I am looking forward to their support in dealing with what looks like another low-water year for Georgian Bay.
Back in Midland, there will be a closed meeting at 6:00 pm dealing with a land acquisition/disposition matter. At 7:00 pm that evening is the April General Committee meeting at Town Hall. A long agenda including:
- A discussion of graffiti prevention measures
- Draft procedures for dealing with inappropriate correspondence and Councillor recourse to legal counsel
- Discussion of the financial impact of the recent firefighter’s arbitration award. The positive news is that the 2009-2012 award was almost entirely provisioned for. We now start the process for the 2013 agreement
- Our 2012 year end statement shows a surplus of $922,000 primarily due to reduced winter snow, an increased dividend from MPUC and operational efficiencies delivered by staff
- A recommendation that we place the Request for Proposal (RFP) for the new public works depot
Wednesday April 10th the County Corporate Services Committee will make an initial recommendation on our municipal request for funding local economic development. This funding will greatly assist Midland in attracting new jobs and residents to our community.
Friday April 12th at 10:00 am the Huronia Economic Alliance will be hosting a “manufacturing summit” at Georgian College. The summit will help direct the strengthening of our local manufacturing base.
A positive note in closing – our Community Healthcare Centre, Chigamik, received $3.3 million from the provincial government this past week to expend its operations in our community. Having these services is a tremendous asset for our area.
Be part of Midland’s Year of Getting Involved - 2013.