Ladies and Gentlemen
A very special week-end coming up as we celebrate Remembrance Day. It’s an emotional event that binds us together as a community and as a nation. I hope to see you at the Cenotaph at 10:30 am.
On Monday the Town offices will be closed but others will be busy. At 11:00 am the Salvation Army launches their Christmas food drive at their building on 2nd Street.
Tuesday November 13th will feature a special luncheon by Peaceworks. Monies raised by this noon event at Explorers Restaurant will be used for charitable works in many third world countries. At 6:00 pm that evening your Council meets in closed session for a variety of topics (See agenda at: http://calendar.county.simcoe.on.ca/upload/Closed%20Meeting%20of%20Council%20on%20November%2013%202012.pdf
Then at 7:00 pm at Town Hall is the General Committee meeting. A long agenda including:
- A review of how the 2013 summer tourism season fared
- Direction on parking fee changes for the downtown
- Discussion on accessibility plans, including accessible taxis
- Two more (positive) reports from the Ombudsman’s office
On Wednesday November 14th the four mayors will convene at the Out of the Cold shelter at Knox church at 8:00 pm for a sleepover. We will spend a night experiencing the same conditions that our homeless do. You may wish to come out (before the 10:00 pm curfew) to encourage your mayors. The following day the shelter will start full year operation for the first time in its history.
Early Thursday the 15th it’s off to County to discuss the 2013 County budget. Preliminary indications are that the overall County tax levy increase may be in the 1% range. At 6:00 pm that evening, Midland gets back to its own budget discussions with our third budget meeting. The topic will be our capital budgets.
Friday Nov 16th starts with the Salvation Army kettle drive kick-off at 10:00 am at Wal-Mart. Later that day a whole series of activities:
- At 5:00 pm the Wye Marsh hosts its annual fund raising dinner at the Marsh.
- The lighting of the Town Christmas tree starts at 6:30 pm. It begins with a parade down King Street, starting from Yonge, followed by lighting the tree.
- At 8:00 pm, Huronia Players starts its 2012/2013 season with the play Noises Off at the MCC. A must see play.
Saturday November 17th, our own Bob Whitam will be holding a book signing at the MCC starting at 1:00 pm. Your chance to acquire a signed copy of Bob’s new book Birds of Georgian Bay.
Be part of Midland’s exciting Year of Having Fun - 2012.