Ladies and Gentlemen
Spring is coming to Midland. The ice is off the bay. Crocii and daffodils are in abundance. And our new Cultural Centre will soon begin taking shape. Can it get any better?
Your Town General Committee gets down to work this Monday April 12th at 7:00 pm (Written Input). A number of interesting items:
- A report showing that parking tickets in the downtown have increased by over 100% in the period January to March 2010, over last year
- The third attempt at bringing our procedural by-law forward. Contentious items include changing the day-of-the-week for Council meetings and limiting Councillor’s ability to discuss items
- A proposal for a Midland Farmer’s Market to take place every Sunday morning from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving. The market is to be located on Bay Street in the parking lot behind the Chamber of Commerce building.
- 2009 saw the Town with a budgetary surplus of $1,090,237. (That translates to a 2009 tax increase of over 6%) Most of this surplus is headed for future reserves.
On Tuesday April 13th at 7:00 pm the Heritage Committee is meeting at the Town. (Speak at Discretion of Chair). The meeting will be looking at the heritage features of the Roxy Theatre and if they should be preserved.
Other gatherings this week:
- On Wednesday the 14th at 6:00 pm the Out of the Cold volunteers celebrate another successful season with a Pot Luck at Knox
- On Thursday the 15th at 7:00 is the rescheduled Poverty Committee meeting. No special agenda items.
- On Saturday the 17th at 2:00 pm is a gathering of artists and art lovers at the Peace by Peace event centre in Tay
And lastly, I know many of you are following the two recent proposed by-laws affecting taxis and pawn/buy-sell businesses. Both by-laws are in suspension pending the meeting of two ad-hoc review committees. I will keep you informed of when these committees are meeting as best I can.